Wednesday, September 12, 2007

ASTEROID STORM

* game my take a few seconds to load *
* there is audio *

* also available to play HERE @ “newgrounds.com” *


This game is the result of my spare time over the summer months.
Produced using Flash it’s a side scrolling space game inspired by such titles as ‘Zero Wing’ (Toaplan) and ‘R-Type’ (Irem).

There are 3 stages with-in the game which I have designed to progress in difficulty as the player advances. (stage 3 is my favourite)
I’ve also added a little sub story, mostly to support the game’s object and end goal, but also to attempt to draw the player in a little more and add to the overall feel.

My friend (Edd) produced the music which I think really sets this game going.
I also had some great help from my tutors, which without I’d still be sat here scratching my head.

See what you think… it’s my first game and my first valid project using Actionscript… I do have to say that I’m pretty proud with the end results, it makes me hungry for more! Please DO leave a comment letting me know what you think, you are my public after all...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work!
Really like the music too.
I think a slightly scrolling background would really set it off...Great though!

Anonymous said...

Awsom Dude! but I do as always in games want to blow things up, so for me this is a sooiside mission:)

Unknown said...

Nice work Kid

Reminds me of an old skool 80's shoot-em-up!

Well done!

simon perkins said...

Great - you cracked it - I'm impressed!
Can't say that I'm much good at it though - I just can't seem to get through level 3 (and I just know that there's a really amazing surprise/reward once I do) - I'll just have to keep trying.
The music for level two really adds to the tension (although not so much that I slip up).
I think you need to think about how you can take what you now know about ActionScript and make a multi-level game where each level represents a change to a generic set of attributes/operations e.g. your spaceship's design, it's velocity (represented as a change in the background speed), etc..
I'm really pleased that the programming "light" has been switched on for you.

Anonymous said...

Maybe my computers bugged - when I try to play the ship instantly blows up no chance ot move it or anything (basically cant play the game!)

Meh...

Gav Cooper said...

Adam,

the ship that you control is fixed to your mouse cursor position, make sure your mouse "pointer" isn't straying off-screen anywhere as each level starts.

that should fix the issue...

Anonymous said...

really enjoyed this game, good game play concepts and i can really see how you have developed each level. i like it when the asteroids start to shoot about the screen instead of just moving from right to left, caught me out a few times.

if you were going to take this further how about adding some shooting ability? power-ups? a health system and more levels.

great effort for your first!

Anonymous said...

cool! good game!

Anonymous said...

Really good idea, and the end result amazing, especially for your first game - still think you should do more levels though!
Make your next game more challenging please!

David Walker said...

Nice work, i cannot get through level 3 at the moment, but i shall keep battling away, i like the sound effects too

Anonymous said...

quality mate proper retro. get some guns though! good work