Saturday, October 06, 2007

TEXT-BASED ADVENTURE GAME

To keep myself occupied on the creative front I have been looking into creating my own text-based adventure game. I came across a great program whilst searching the net that constructs your text-based game for you, minimal programming talents are required and it’s simple to use.
Check it out at www.adrift.org.uk

I’ve spent the last few days trying to come up with a suitable narrative to base a text adventure game on, but after coming up with nothing but generic fantasy themed stories I came to the conclusion that conjuring up exciting, gripping narratives isn’t one of my ’skillz’. (also made me realize why 95% of MMORPGs are fantasy based, the narrative writes itself).

Without a narrative, a text-based adventure would simply be a series of puzzles. However, the reverse is true; without at least the odd puzzle, there isn't much to do except wander around, waiting for the story to expose itself. So I decided to put the story telling aside for the moment and focus on the puzzles that would make up my text adventure. This method of writing the game has proven to be much more manageable, focusing on the gameplay first then building a narrative around that. I have posted a quick screen shot of what my text adventure looks like so far, no exciting 3D graphics here...
this is old skool!

My finished game will be posted up here for download as soon as I have completed it, watch this space.

No comments: