Saturday, October 13, 2007

PLAY TIME

Second year studies are slowly starting back up again at NTU and I’m yet to have my first ‘Games’ lecture and seminar, which I’m much looking forward too. I’m still working on my text adventure… slowly… but for now I thought I’d post about what I’ve been devoting most of my “play time” too. I use to PC game a lot and still do from time to time, but I’ve recently been playing Microsoft’s 360 console and Nintendo’s DS Lite (mine's black)

Ghost Recon Advanced War Fighter (GRAW) – Ubisoft

Although this game is getting on a bit in terms of shelf life (I picked my copy up for £8) it’s an amazing game and one of the first benchmarks in “next gen” gaming. It’s a 3rd and 1st person tactical shooter with some great movement controls that allows the player to move and use cover in a very realistic way. Apparently the soldier’s outfits, communications kit and weaponry are based on actually items in development for the US. (maybe it’s an insight into what we might see being used in Afghanistan and Iraq before all that comes to a close?) The AI is pretty tough, moving for cover when needed, attacking in numbers, flanking… etc. Graphics are outstanding with dazzling dynamic lighting really setting the visuals off. The controls take time to get familiar with, but once I'd mastered the basics I was hooked for about 6 hours in my first sitting. I’m a big fan of army related tactical shooters and this is easily the best I’ve played. Watch the review below…


The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass – Nintendo (DS)

I’m just a Zelda fan boy and I wanted to plug this game! Although it isn’t out till this Friday (19th) I wanted to post a review I’d seen to reinforce the how much I’m looking forward to its release. From what I have seen it looks like it’s taken the DS to a whole new level of interaction with the touchpad and stylus controls. Watch below...


No comments: