Saturday, November 24, 2007

CARD GAME

My main project at the moment is card game – “To devise, design and refine an original Game System to be used in a non-digital card game.” A brief written by my games tutor Brad Warren of Free Radical Design.

On first impressions I thought this brief would be a walkover, but… on first attempts I fell flat on my arse… so to speak. My initial card game was a weird mutation of Magic mixed with Top Trumps, it was awful. I only played it with a few people and I’m glad I didn’t show it to any more than I did. *shudder*

Defeated, I went back to the drawing board and after weeks of playing many casual games… Solitaire, Hexic, Chess, Go, Tetris Attack… just to name a few, I finally came up with a card game system I was happy with.
I prototyped the game and played it out countless times with various people, changing and adapting the rules to produce an all round fair, enjoyable and tactical game.

Here are the final designs for my cards. I’ll be posting a printable deck along with the final rule sheet around hand in time. I do have to say that I really like the outcome of my efforts on this project, I love playing my card game and it seems the people I play with like it too…

2 comments:

GARY (GDW NORI) DAVIES said...

THis is a great game, i have played it and it is very addictive... my favorate part in my opinion is the poison because if your oponant uses it and forgets what is underneith there you can use it against your opponant
But overal the game is fun and worth playing whenever you get a chance

Anonymous said...

i agree. Tis a fun game. Obviously not as fun as mine! (sarcasm, mine is most complicated weird game ever). I havn't played with the poison or cure cards yet, hope to play on tuesday. Card designs look cool.