Saturday, May 10, 2008

EXPORT IMPORT PROBLEMS

I worked up the courage this afternoon to try some simple 3D modelling in Max (I’m scared of that program, seriously). Surprisingly… once I got going I rather enjoyed myself… I came up with a very straightforward mesh of a cave entrance and I also accomplished a fairly respectable texture job on it too.


I exported my mesh to an .ASE file, as advised. Then I imported my mesh into the Unreal Editor via the static mesh browser… this is where my problems started… Unreal imported the mesh but it didn’t import the texture I applied to it, as shown below.


I also had a read of the ‘3DSMax to Unreal FAQ’ as posted on my University VLP, it recommend that I download and install the relevant ActorX plug-In for my version of Max (version 9 / 32-bit) so that’s what I did…. but when I booted up 3DSM after installing it I get a nasty error message, please see below…


Ignoring that the ActorX plug-in did nothing what so ever I tried to size up and position my mesh in place with-in the map, I then tried to run it. This is where my final problem comes in, when the game runs the mesh isn’t visible with-in the game, there is just a dark shadow in it's place... as illustrated in the below screen shot…

I’m guessing all three problems are related and that I’m missing something really obvious, like checking a box somewhere located deep inside a hidden menu.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, to be honest I've not even tried importing into Unreal yet, apart from some really basic shapes a week or so back, and I never tried previewing it. I have been putting it off. So yeah I really don't know whats up with yours I'll see if I can help you once I've messed about with mine a bit.

Unknown said...

I've tried importing something now using Maya into unreal and I seem to be having the same problem as you. I havn't set up the lighting so my rooms all dark and cant tell if there is a black shadow but I guess it will be the same thing as is going on with yours.

Gav Cooper said...

Your having the exact same probs even though your using Maya with the related ActorX plug-in - Hmmmm!

Anonymous said...

Ok- two things:

Unreal DOESNT import your texture for you.
You have to import your texture and apply it to a new 'shader'.
Pretty sure that the instructions are on the VLP.


Second; the black mesh is possibly due to a corrupt export.
Try ensuring that your cave mesh is triangulated and that all verts are welded. Then re-export.


Can you pass these to Chris G too please Gav?

Give it a spin and let me know.
Brad

Gav Cooper said...

Thanks for the advice Brad, Ill give it a whirl and see what happens. I've sent Chris G a txt about this also.

Anonymous said...

http://facweb.cs.depaul.edu/JBrzezinski/245/Maya_Workflow.htm

Anonymous said...

http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/StaticMeshesTutorial.html